Personal information about Percy John Bolton

Below is all the information we have about Percy John Bolton. As far as we know, the information is correct. However, if you find any errors or have additional information, certificates or pictures, please contact us so that we can update this page. Thank you.

Burial Information

Name on burial register:
   Percy John Bolton
Burial register image
Click image to enlarge
Age at death:
Date of burial:
   23 September 1903
Abode at death:
(according to burial register)
   Andover Road, Newbury
Burial register information:
Book number: 1899
Page number: 071
Record number: 7765
Official at burial:
   William Hughes
Source of information:
  Burial Register
* This entry is awaiting verification.

Memorial Details

  Percy John BOLTON
  17 September 1903
  Headstone & Footstone
  From top of headstone: In Loving Memory of/ Our Dear Boy/ Percy John Bolton/ who died Sept. 17th 1903/ aged 15 years./ "Redeemed with the precious blood of Christ." 1 Peter 1c, 19v./ "Nothing could for sin atone/ but Thy blood Thine alone."/ Also of/ Gertrude Bolton/ who died Jan. 24th. 1918/ aged 22 years./ "With Christ which is far better." Footstone: P J B/ 1903./ G ? B/ 1918
  Good condition. Engraved letters.
  23 August 2014
  D Duff
Click here for more information on this memorial.

Other people list on this memorial

Gertrude BOLTON



Obituaries and Newspaper announcements

Article source:    Newbury Weekly News 24 September 1903
Date of source:    24 September 1903
Copyright:    © FNRC/NWN






The autumn manoeuvres were singularly free from casualties, and notwithstanding the remarkable congestion of traffic, the rushing to and from motor-cars, bicycles, horses and traction engines, there was scarcely any serious mishap to record.

There was one, however, of the most lamentable character, which took place at Newbury on Wednesday morning, when General French's defending army was passing through the town. A lad named Percy John Bolton, aged 15, son of Mr. E.J. Bolton, postman, of 1, Leighton-villas, Andover-road, had obtained his mother's permission to go into the town and see the soldiers march through. The main body had passed, hen he attempted to cross the crowded street, and in dodging a mare and foal on the way to the Horse Show, he got in the way of a soldier cyclist. He was knocked down and in falling, struck his head against the step of a passing cab. The lad was picked up and carried into the shop of the Singer Sewing Machine Company, where every attention was paid by Mr. Wildsmith, who witnessed the accident. The boy was quite conscious, and able to give his name and address. A message was sent to his mother, who quickly arrived and took her son home in a cab. Dr Hickman attended him, and no serious consequences were anticipated. However, on Thursday, shortly after the doctor had seen him, he quietly passed away, the final cause being the rupture of an artery, resulting from the accident.

The evidence given at the inquest clearly showed that no blame attached either to the soldier cyclist or the driver of the cab. It was proved beyond doubt that the cyclist was not travelling more than five miles an hour, a pace which was necessitated by the crowded state of the thoroughfare. The soldier showed every solicitude for the lad he had unwittingly knocked down, helping to carry him into the shop close by , remaining by him until assured that there was no further necessity, and then leaving his name and regimental number. The man could not have done more, and doubtless would have been in attendance at the inquest, but the exigencies of the manoeuvres prevented him being summoned as a witness. However, neither the Coroner nor the jury considered his attendance a necessity, and on the evidence before them,came to the conclusion the lad's death was due to accidental causes.

It was a terribly sad affair, and the parents are overwhelmed with grief. Percy was their only son, there being two younger daughters, and he was a bright promising lad of fifteen, who had just completed his schooling, and had passed an examination for the Post Office, where he would have started this week.


The inquest was held on Saturday afternoon at St John's parish Room, before the Borough Coroner (Dr. Watson, J.P.). The jury, of whom Mr. Alfred Cooper was foreman, having viewed the body at the father's house, the following evidence was taken.

Joseph Bolton, gardener, living at Wilton Cottages, Andover-road, identified the body as that of his grandson. Deceased told his mother on Wednesday morning that there were some soldiers passing through the town, and asked if he might go and see them. She gave him permission and he went alone. The next thing that his mother heard of him was that he had been knocked down by a soldier on a bicycle.

William Stott Wildsmith, district agent of the Singer Manufacturing Company, living at 29, Northbrook-street, said on Wednesday morning at nine o'clock he was standing at his door watching the troops pass, and noticed the deceased lad in the road. He was just then getting out of a mare and foal on the way to the Horse Show, and in doing so he ran right in front of a soldier on a bicycle. He was knocked down, and his head striking the step of a passing carriage, he fell on his back in the road. Witness went to his assistance and carried him into his house, placed on a rug on the floor, supported his head by cushions, bathing his face and head with water. There was no blood whatever, but a big bruise on the forehead. He was stunned momentarily, but was quite conscious on getting indoors, and gave his name and address. Witness sent a messenger to his parents, and his mother came and fetched him in a cab. Deceased was sick two or three times whilst he was at the witness's place, but ppeared to be recovering from the effects of the accident. The soldier was going hardly more than a walking pace when the accident happened, and the injury would not have been serious had not deceased not struck the carriage. The soldier came in with the lad, and was very much concerned at the accident. As the lad appeared to be recovering, witness told him there was no necessity for him to stop. Witness asked him for his name and regimental number, and he replied that it was Private Corbett, 5779, Royal Scots Fusiliers. Corbett did not like leaving whilst the lad was bad, but witness said he did not think it was necessary for him to stay, and they would send for him if necessary. Had he been riding furiously he would have detained him.

Sidney Joseph Jacobs, driver for Mr. Humphreys of the “Cross Keys,” said on Wednesday morning, about nine am, he was driving a cab down Northbrook-street. He saw the deceased start off the pavement and go into the roadway. At the same time a soldier riding a bicycle was coming up street and the lad was knocked over, his head striking the step of the cab. Witness pulled up at once, and saw deceased lying on the road on his back. Witness went to the Singer shop to see how the lad was, and afterwards took him home in his cab. The lad was conscious and said “Mother, I want to go home” and on reaching there being placed on on pillows said “That's better.” The soldier was not riding more than five miles an hour, which was about the same pace his cab was going.


Mr. Richard Hickman, medical practitioner, said he was sent for on Wednesday mid-day to see the deceased, and found that he had a bruise about the size of a watch=face, and also one behind the right ear. He was perfectly conscious, and a little sick. He saw him again on Thursday morning, and he was still perfectly conscious. Witness thought he was going on fairly well, but in the evening the father came for him, and he saw him again. Deceased was not so well, and his breathing was bad, but even then he did not think he was going to succumb. Very soon afterwards the father and grandfather came and told him the lad was dead. He thought the final cause of death was haemorrhage on the brain, the result of the accident.

The Coroner: Did the boy die in a fit?

Mr. Bolton: No sir, he passed away very quietly and we did not know he was dying.

The Coroner expressed sympathy wit the bereaved family at the loss of their son, a bright intelligent boy, whom he knew personally. It was an unfortunate accident, and there was no question of reckless driving. The soldier had acted very humanely, and did everything he could to assist the lad. It had not been possible to summon him as a witness, but had there been the slightest suspicion of reckless riding he would have suggested that the inquiry should be adjourned for his attendance. But the evidence before them afforded every elucidation of this unfortunate affair, and he did not think that there was any necessity for adjournment.

Mr Bolton (the grandfather); We are perfectly satisfied that it was purely an accident. I think the boy's attention was taken up with the horses, and he did not notice the bicycle.

The Foreman said the jury shared with the Coroner the sympathy for the parents and relatives in this sad affair.

Mr. Dike, one of the jurors suggested that the soldier should be acquainted with the finding of the jury, as it might relieve his mind of much anxiety.

The Coroner agreed that this should be done.

A verdict of “Accidental Death” was formally recorded.


Mr. and Mrs. Bolton and family desire to express their sincere thanks and appreciation for the numerous expression s of sympathy with them in their sudden bereavement.- Andover Road, Newbury.


Newbury Weekly News 24 September 1903

Mrs P. p.133 LS61


This obituary entry is awaiting verification.
Accident to a Lad
Article source:    Newbury Weekly News
Date of source:    24 September 1903
Copyright:    © 



THE ACCIDENT TO A LAD,—A report of the inquest on Percy John Bolton,, who died from injuries received through being knocked down by a cyclist in Northbrook-street, will he found in an inside page.

The funeral, of the deceased lad took place yesterdav (Wednesday) afternoon at NewbuiryCemetery. The burial service wasconducted by the Plymouth Brethren of which body the deceased was a member. By special request, there were no flowers, but the bereaved parents have received numerous expressons of sympathy at the loss of so promising a son.

This obituary entry is awaiting verification.

Biographies & History

Related Links



*The FNRC believe that the certificates published on this page have been added in compliance with the rules laid down by the General Register Office (GRO).Click here for more information.
If you believe that we may have inadvertently breached the privacy of a living person by publishing any document, pleasecontact usso we can immediately remove the certificate and investigate further.
Thank you

Website designed and maintained by Paul Thompson on behalf of the Friends of Newtown Road Cemetery.

Administrator Login