Ernest Edmund Hill

Author: Gerald Soper
Date published: 30/01/2021

Ernest Edmund Hill (1863 – 1918)


Ernest Edmund Hill was born in 1863 in Eddlington near Hungerford, the son of Edmund and Ann, nee Ford, Hill. He was baptized 31 January 1864 at St Lawrence in Hungerford. Ernest was recorded with his parents and three siblings at the Lamb Inn in Hungerford in the 1871 census, his father Edmund was recorded as the inn keeper.


In the 1881 census Ernest was living as a lodger in West Street in Newbury and recorded as a printer’s compositor.


Ten years later in the 1891 census Ernest was recorded as a boarder at 80 Ambler Road in Islington, living with Samuel Simpson and his family. Ernest was recorded as a printer as was Samuel. In the 1901 census Ernest was recorded at 56 Avewell Road in Islington still with Samuel Simpson and his family with both Ernest and Samuel recorded as compositors. Ernest was still living in Islington with the Simpson family in 1911 but now at 86 Gillespie Road and recorded as a compositor although Samuel Simpson was now a fruiterer and greengrocer.


Edward married Lucy Ann Nicholls on 26 May 1917 at St Peter in Caversham. Lucy was born circa 1875 in Swindon.  In the 1911 census Lucy was living at 67 Kings Road in Caversham with her widowed mother Fanny, sister Alice Farmer and niece Annie Farmer. Lucy was recorded as a domestic servant.


Ernest died on 21 February 1918 and was buried at Newtown Road Cemetery on 26 February 1918. A report about his death appeared in the Reading Mercury dated 23 February 1918, as below.


A painful case of sudden death occurred on Thursday morning at the office of the “Newbury Weekly News”. Mr. Ernest Hill, a native of Hungerford, while at work at his case, complained of tightness of the chest, and falling down expired within a few minutes. Everything possible was done by his fellow workers, and Dr. Wyllie and Dr. Simmons, who saw the body afterwards, pronounced life extinct. The deceased on completion of his apprenticeship as a printer at Hungerford, came to the “Weekly News” office as an improver, and later filled a responsible position with Messrs. Spottiswoode in London. Returning to Newbury about eighteen months since, he married and lived in Priory Road. Since his return, he has done light work at the “News” office.


Ernest left a will and probate was granted on 16 March 1918 at Oxford to Lucy, the value of the estate was £312 0s 11d. His address was recorded as 18 Priory Road.


After the death of Ernest Lucy moved back to Caversham and she was recorded with her sister Alice Farmer and niece Annie at 67 Kings Road in the 1939 register. Lucy died in June 1962 in Caversham.



Sources:as above

Website designed and maintained by Paul Thompson on behalf of the Friends of Newtown Road Cemetery.

Administrator Login